As a teen, you may have thought that pimples, blemishes, and breakouts will be the thing of the past once you reach adulthood. No more time spent in front of the mirror trying to hide acne, no more skin problems altogether.
And then, adult acne hits.
Adult acne in men is pretty real. You might have had something for lunch, or your new skincare product is irritating your skin. It might be from stress or minor hormonal imbalances. No matter the cause, once you see those blemishes you start losing control and wildly start looking for the best acne treatment for men online.
Well, if that’s the case with you, you’ve visited the right place, because we are going to tell you how to get rid of acne forever.
What are the causes?
First of all, we need to establish what causes these skin problems in the first place. By identifying certain patterns and problems, you can start off on the right foot.
- Hormones – The red bumps and pustules are more or less caused by minor hormone imbalances in your body. Your hormone levels generally fluctuate, and your pores are extremely sensitive to T level fluctuation, meaning, when levels are high, pores secrete oil.
- Apart from that, sometimes, materials in the pore (like dead skin cells or specific bacteria) can interrupt the body’s immune response, making those bumps look even worse.
- Hygiene habits – Although hygiene shouldn’t really be a concern since acne is more of a genetic and hormonal thing, not washing your face regularly and not exfoliating it might build up acne.
- Diet — Eating habits shouldn’t play a crucial role in developing adult acne, however, there are studies out there that connect acne buildup to diets high in carbohydrates. A high carb diet will raise insulin levels, which in turn elevates T levels.
- Stress – Stressful situations elevate stress hormones which in turn raise testosterone levels, which is the main culprit when in acne development.
What kind of product should you use?
If you are looking to know how to get rid of acne for guys, your first stop should be those skincare products that help in opening up your pores and fight reducing inflammation in clogged pores.
Professionals usually prescribe retinoids to unclog pores and anti-inflammatory medication or antibiotics to fight inflammation.
If you opt for non-prescription drugs, look for unclogging agents that contain salicylic acid, and creams with benzoyl peroxide for reducing inflammation. However, be careful with the last one, since this substance will stain your towels and pillowcases if you’re not cautious enough.
Make sure to use these products all over your face and not just on specific spots. Sometimes, applying them directly to a single spot can cause irritation.
Try to use lotions or creams you can rub into your skin. Cleaners are good too, however, you can wash them off really quick not giving the ingredients enough time to take effect. Lotions and creams will work all day once you rub them into your skin.
Testosterone is the main culprit behind male acne and T levels can fluctuate because of factors such as diet, stress levels, and sometimes, simple things like hygiene (or the lack of it) can also cause those dreaded blemishes.
Do you seek to learn more about testosterone and its effects? If yes, get in touch with us so we can answer all your questions.